This song is the first thing that came to mind when I read the writing prompt for tonight. 🙂
I don’t like today’s question, to tell you the truth. I don’t honestly know enough about the true power of the president upon taking office to say what I’d do. I know you don’t have carte blanche. Maybe I’m being too literal – (big surprise to those who know me).
From the Truman Library, I found the following:
A PRESIDENT CAN
- make treaties with the approval of the Senate.
- veto bills and sign bills.
- represent our nation in talks with foreign countries.
- enforce the laws that Congress passes.
- act as Commander-in-Chief during a war.
- call out troops to protect our nation against an attack.
- make suggestions about things that should be new laws.
- lead his political party.
- entertain foreign guests.
- recognize foreign countries.
- grant pardons.
- nominate Cabinet members and Supreme Court Justices and other high officials.
- appoint ambassadors.
- talk directly to the people about problems.
- represent the best interest of all the people
While, I find this list very interesting. I still don’t have a clue. If pressed, maybe I would pursue finding out if there are any people on death row that didn’t really belong there and pardon them?
It’s not like I could just right away pass a bunch of laws that I feel need to be passed, I could just “make suggestions”. I also don’t believe I could just go running around and vetoing any laws already passed that I didn’t like. I suspect there’s a whole process for that sort of thing and it wouldn’t be quick or simple. That’s what has frustrated me most about our current political environment. If the people in our branches of government would work together, a whole lot of good sh!t could get done. But no…
It’s an interesting thing to think through though. I definitely have things I would get rid of, and other things I would put in place, but that stuff I’ll reserve for conversations with the people in my life who would listen and discuss in an open minded way, not the general interwebs. No offense!
Writing this evening inspired by the November 2012 NaBloPoMo Writing Prompt: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 – If you were President of the United States, what would be your first act in office?