But let the Lord Jesus Christ take control of you, and don’t think of ways to indulge your evil desires.
I just love it when God speaks to me from different directions – when He’s really trying to get me to “get” a point.
Do Not Rush.
And Keep a Quiet Heart.
I think I find most help in trying to look on all the interruptions and hindrances to work that one has planned out for oneself as discipline, trials sent by God to help one against getting selfish over one’s work. Then one can feel that perhaps one’s true work – one’s work for God – consists in doing some trifling haphazard thing that has been thrown into one’s day. It is not a waste of time, as one is tempted to think, it is the most important part of the work of the day – the part one can best offer to God. After such a hindrance, do not rush after the planned work; trust that the time to finish it will be given sometime, and keep a quiet heart about it.
— Annie Kearie, 1825-1879
As quoted in Keep a Quiet Heart, by Elisabeth Elliot, p. 9
I guess I won’t be doing my minute by minute plan for tomorrow…
There. Is. No. Condemnation. Period.
- John 6:37 – However, those the Father has given me will come to me, and I will never reject them.
- Romans 8:1 – Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus…
Though healthy eating would be a blessing to my body, and a good idea for me, it is not a “salvation issue” regardless of what some programs may preach.
- John 6:27 – But don’t be so concerned about perishable things like food. Spend your energy seeking the eternal life that the Son of Man can give you. For God the Father has given me the seal of his approval.”
I need to lighten up. I have allowed myself to be oppressed, but not by what I thought. I put myself into that pit by choice. I chose to believe that God has been supremely disappointed in me, frustrated by me, and has turned my back on me because of my weakness. My humanity. My inability to rescue myself. But it turns out that maybe my accepting my weakness will be the beginning of my allowing God to do His thing…
- Romans 8:23-27 – Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will.
- 2 Corinthians 12:5-10 – That experience is worth boasting about, but I’m not going to do it. I will boast only about my weaknesses. If I wanted to boast, I would be no fool in doing so, because I would be telling the truth. But I won’t do it, because I don’t want anyone to give me credit beyond what they can see in my life or hear in my message, even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God. So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud.
Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
I honestly don’t know where my next steps are. I am going to continue with the TLT study, if for nothing else, to see if it’s possible to continue and not be placed back into the pit of condemnation that I have been in.
I need no other guide in this process but the Word. It is the ultimate authority. I must take every bit of wisdom put out there by others and hold it up against the truth I find in the Word and let the Holy Spirit direct me accordingly.
I think I’ve finally been released from the shackles that I allowed myself to be chained with in the WD movement. Finally. It has taken almost 8 years to see how hateful and dark legalism is. It’s alluring. It’s seductive. It makes you feel special. It makes you feel included. It makes you feel worthy.
I am not worthy. That’s why Christ died. So that my unworthiness could never again separate me from God. I accept his gift of life. I believe he died to save even me. I can not be condemned by my actions anymore. My life is God’s. I am protected. I am accepted. I am fully loved.
But I will never, ever be worthy. Any changes that are worked out in my sanctification process are solely and completely a work of God and not, I REPEAT, NOT due to any strength or worth of my own. No amount of striving, nor dedicated obedience to any laws or rules or structures or organizations will ever make me “better”. Only Christ’s death on the cross bridges the gap. Permanently.
Now, I know that there are a lot of open spots and theological gaps in what I’m writing here. But what I am writing is what is on my heart. The nuances that I need to fully accept. It is imperative that I learn to believe the truth of God’s love for me. I have been really bruised and beaten by my inability to conquer my own sin. It’s once again time for me to step back and see that maybe there’s another way…
PS – I love you mom!
The religious rules that spring up around only eating when you are hungry and stopping when full are manmade religious rules that have to do with helping people lose weight; they do not prove one’s love for God. He certainly does not require them in the Scriptures.
— Adam Brooks, “The “Great” Commission of Gwen Shamblin and Remnant Fellowship”
I think this is one of the more freeing things I have read in a long time.
Save me, O God,
for the floodwaters are up to my neck.
Deeper and deeper I sink into the mire;
I can’t find a foothold to stand on.
I am in deep water,
and the floods overwhelm me.
I am exhausted from crying for help;
my throat is parched and dry.
My eyes are swollen with weeping,
waiting for my God to help me.
O God, you know how foolish I am;
my sins cannot be hidden from you.
Don’t let those who trust in you stumble because of me,
O Sovereign Lord Almighty.
When I weep and fast before the Lord,
they scoff at me.
But I keep right on praying to you, Lord
hoping this is the time you will show me favor.
In your unfailing love, O God.
answer my prayer with your sure salvation.
Pull me out of the mud,
don’t let me sink any deeper!
Rescue me from those who hate me,
and pull me from these deep waters.
Don’t let the floods overwhelm me,
or the deep waters swallow me,
or the pit of death devour me.
Answer my prayers, O Lord,
for your unfailing love is wonderful
Turn and take care of me,
for your mercy is so plentiful.
Don’t hide from your servant;
answer me quickly, for I am in deep trouble!
Come and rescue me
free me from all my enemies.
Excerpts from Psalm 69 (NLT)
Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love?…No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us. And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from his love…Our fears for today, our worries about tomorrow, and even the powers of hell can’t keep God’s love away. Romans 8:35, 37, 38b
I don’t like to whine. I don’t want to complain. But this is where I need to be the real me, so here I go.
I am depressed. I am unhappy. I have no reason for either. I am afraid. Many little things cause me emotional distress. Things that do not signify danger, but get blown out of proportion in my mind.
I did not get enough sleep last night. I stayed up trying to write my devotional for Faith Lifts. Then, I just couldn’t sleep. Too many thoughts racing. Never enough accomplished in my day. Feelings like I’m just insufficient. I am never enough.
And it has carried over into today. Feelings like I can never catch up. I will always be behind. Lacking. A day late and a dollar short.
I don’t WANT to feel this way. I’ve read that some of this can be attributed to pride – which I do not doubt as I know that’s one of my regular sins. I just don’t know how to get out. Sometimes I just have better days than others.
I know that God can heal whatever bad things are going on in my head and in my soul. I just wish I knew how to make it happen RIGHT NOW.
And even we Christians, although we have the Holy Spirit within us as a foretaste of future glory, also groan to be released from pain and suffering. we, too, wait anxiously for that day when God will give us our full rights as his children, including the new bodies he has promised us. Now that we are saved, we eagerly look forward to this freedom. For if you already have something, you don’t need to hope for it. But if we look forward to something we don’t have yet, we must wait patiently and confidently.
And the Holy Spirit helps us in our distress. For we don’t even know what we should pray for, nor how we should pray. but the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. And the Father who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God’s own will. And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.” Romans 8:23-28
Father, I’m going to have the let the Holy Spirit do the praying for me here. I know you’re the answer. Your word has everything I need to heal this soul-pain and distress I am feeling. I do not want to resort to medication if I don’t have to. Please give me the spiritual solution, rather than the pharmaceutical one. I know you have the power to heal everything – including my anxiety and depression. Let me be filled with your Comforting Spirit – and know that that is enough. Help me to deny the lies that my head seems to be believing – that is causing my fear. I believe in You. Help me.
- 436. Watching J5 press his toy cell phone into the crook of his neck and babble significantly into the mouthpiece. He is watching and learning and absorbing – all the time – even when I am not deliberately teaching.
- 437. Hot vanilla creamer flavored coffee
- 438. Re-acquaintance with the truth that I am a Temple of the Holy Spirit, that I am a work in progress, and that God is the General Contractor in charge of the repairs.
- 439. Finding my identity is a blend of many things and is uniquely me – I don’t need to be anything but the me that God created. Not a people pleaser, nor a popular crowd follower. Just a lover of God, and husband, and son. A mom who works within my home – not only for pay, but also in service to my family.
- 440. The absolutely wonderful, cool, refreshing morning breeze that is coming through our front window as I write this.
- 441. PJs/Workout outfits (camisole & terry pants) that I got from Sam’s Club – makes it easier for me to keep up with the walking I committed to in the 2007 Summer Exercise Challenge.
- 442. Knowing my mom is always just a phone call away when I need just a couple minutes of sane grown-up conversation.
- 442. Staying connected with friends via IM
- 443. The blogosphere
- 444. The faithful companionship of our boxer, Avedis
- 445. FlyLady’s methods to help me keep our home clutter free – even if the housework is not done “right” it still blesses my family.
- 446. PBS programming – Knowing that Sesame Street is always there to faithfully make numbers and letters fun with laughter and songs. How can you not enjoy Cookie Monster eating the letter of the day, or hearing The Count and his ha-ha-ha?
- 447. Blankies